Before You Begin
Be sure to read this information thoroughly before you begin, follow instructions exactly, and get ready for beautiful, long-lasting, shiny hair color.
We hope these instructions are clear. However, if you have any questions or concerns, please call our Technical Hotline at 800-784-8212. Our color specialists are available 8am – 5pm Pacific Standard Time Monday through Friday for your convenience.
Follow these instructions to perform a skin sensitivity test even if you have been coloring your hair for some time. Be sure to do this test before each and every coloring.
- Prepare a test area: a small area of skin behind the ear or in the bend of the elbow should be cleansed, using either soap and water or alcohol. (Do not test near any skin lesion).
- Mix equal parts (a few drops) of the NATURCOLOR haircolor gel with Naturfix Gel Developer in a plastic or glass container. Do not use metal.
- Apply this mixture to your test area with a cotton-tipped applicator.
- Let the test area dry. Do not wash or disturb for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, the area should be washed gently with soap and water. If no irritation or inflammation is apparent, it is usually assumed that no hypersensitivity to the dye exists. The test should, however, be carried out before each application.
If there is a reaction in or around the test area, this is an indication that you should not be using NATURCOLOR at this time. On no account should the hair dye be used for dyeing eyebrows or eyelashes as severe inflammation of the eye or even blindness may result. Call 800-784-8212 with questions.
Choosing Your Color
The “N” (Natural) Series was specially formulated with the strongest pigments to “cover” gray. If your goal is to cover gray, begin with the choice of a color in the “N” series. The other color groups (C, M, R, D) are made with lighter pigments. They will color in a more transparent effect and are also designed to be mixed with the “N” Series when special custom tints or highlights are desired. When choosing a color, be aware that you cannot go from dark to light with Naturcolor. Subtle lightening of 1 to 2 shades is possible, but may involve multiple applications to achieve the desired result.
NATURCOLOR should be applied on clean dry hair. You should shampoo in advance if your hair is coated with gel, mousse, oil, conditioner or hairspray, otherwise it is not necessary. If you shampoo first, do not condition, wait until hair is dry and then proceed with color application.
If this is the first time coloring your hair, follow the instructions below to apply the color throughout your hair and allow it to set for 45 minutes. If you are re-coloring your hair, follow the instructions for a “touch-up”.
Undyed hair: the mixture should be placed on the entire head of hair (roots and ends) and left for 45 minutes.
Regular touch up to blend the color of the roots and ends: apply to the root area, leave for 20 minutes, comb through to the ends and leave another 25 minutes (20+25=45 minutes total).
Root only touch up on new outgrowth only: apply the solution to the root area only and leave for 45 minutes.
- Mix product: Mix equal parts of NATURCOLOR Haircolor Gel with NATURFIX Gel Developer in the plastic applicator bottle. Cover the hole in the tip of the applicator bottle and gently turn the bottle to blend the liquids. Remaining unmixed product may be kept for later use, but once mixed, it should be used promptly.
- Apply to roots: Using gloves, apply the mixture to the root area in 1/4 inch partings using the applicator tip as your guide. Although thorough coverage is imperative, do not oversaturate. Product should not be dripping. Proceed across the entire scalp applying the mixture to one section at a time.
- Apply to hairline: Apply the mixture carefully to the hairline around the face and at the temples. Using the tips of your fingers, gently pat the mixture upwards into the roots. (For touch-ups the mixture should rest on this new outgrowth at the roots for 45 minutes. You may then skip to step 6 if the color on the length of your hair is the desired color, or pull color through to the ends of your hair at the 20 minute mark if you wish to re-color the length.)
- Comb through: To complete application to the rest of the hair, use a wide tooth comb to draw the mixture from the root area to the ends of the hair. Apply more of the color mixture to the hair as needed while continuing the combing procedure. (For touch-ups, it is not always necessary to comb the mixture through to the ends.)
- Wait: Using the fingers, massage the mixture throughout the hair ensuring complete saturation. Allow the mixture to set for a total of 45 minutes.
- Rinse: Rinse thoroughly with warm water and use enclosed sample of After Color Treatment shampoo. You may follow with enclosed sample of Echinacea Herbacreme Conditioner for best color retention. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and style as usual.
To keep your hair looking its best, NATURCOLOR offers a full line of hair care products formulated to protect and complement this specific haircolor.